A PIONEERING TRAINING INITIATIVE ON FILM PROJECTION
For the first time ever in India, Film Heritage Foundation in collaboration with the Goethe-Institut/ Max Mueller Bhavan Mumbai will conduct a three-day practical workshop in Mumbai from July 24 – 26, 2023 dedicated to the essential skill of screening films on the big screen.
The aim of the workshop is to keep alive the art of projecting films on celluloid which is so crucial for the preservation of our film heritage as well as to teach the projectionists responsible for screening films on digital formats the nuances and finer points of digital projection especially with regard to classic films that have varying aspect ratios that contemporary projectionists may not be conversant with.
DATES AND VENUES:
Dates: July 24 – 26, 2023
Time: 9 am to 5 pm
Venues: Liberty Cinema and Regal Cinema
Liberty Cinema : 41-42, New Marine Lines, Mumbai – 400020.
Regal Cinema : Colaba Causeway, Opposite Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya(CSMVS Museum), Mumbai – 400005.
- The course will comprise lectures and practical sessions.
- The course will have two modules: Celluloid Projection and Digital Projection.
- The course will be conducted in English.
- Daily film screenings will be held in the evening at the end of the sessions.
CELLULOID PROJECTION MODULE:
- Basic knowledge of analogue film and film projection
- Overview of gauges, bases, soundtracks, aspect ratios
- Getting a print ready – film inspection / cue marks / rewinds / splicing
- Threading and projecting
DIGITAL PROJECTION MODULE:
- Digital standards (Projectors / Servers / DCPs / KDM)
- Uploading files / Making a playlist / Running a show
- Troubleshooting & Maintenance
Daily film screenings at 6 pm on celluloid and digital formats.
Florian Höehensteiger has a Masters in Film Heritage from the Film University Babelsberg Konrad Wolf in Potsdam Germany and a Certificate in Film Preservation from the L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation in Rochester, USA. Currently he is a film archivist at the Bundesarchiv in Germany and a freelance film projectionist at the Sinema Transtopia in Berlin where he projects films on 16 mm and 35 mm.
- Registrations closed on June 30th, 2023.